Topic Title: Obtaining research-grade SJW in Australia
Epyx

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 203.164.208.162
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Obtaining research-grade SJW in Australia" , Mon 3 Dec 23:22

Apologies for the length of this post. I thought I would share the results of my consumer research with those looking for high-quality SJW in Australia.

The other day, I was ready to whip out my credit card and purchase so-called "research-grade hypericum" from Hypericum Buyers Club or RealSJW. I noticed that one of them disclosed the manufacturer as Indena, who turns out to be the world's largest botanical extractor. This got me thinking. Indena's website called their extract "St.JohnSelect", which includes a stabilized 4% hyperforin component reminiscent of that described in the popular WS-5572 preparations (e.g. Movana, Perika). [I later discovered that Indena actually prepares the LI-160 extracts for Lichtwer Pharma. I would not be surprised to hear that they also prepare WS-5572 extracts for Willmar Schwabe.]

So I emailed Indena Asia-Pacific, who put me onto their Aus agent, Pathway International. According to their rep, Pathway sells the Indena extract to Blackmores, Herron and Bullivants. I'm guessing there are others too, but that's all I got told. I asked him a number of times to confirm that each of these brands would contain Indena's stabiliser ("LeucoSelect"), and he insisted that they did. Therefore, for the same dosage, they should be identical in content, which he agreed with.

So in Australia, Blackmores and Herron are easy choices. Herron is far cheaper at around 20c/tablet, while Blackmores is 30-40c/tablet. The Bullivants brands (Nature's Own, Natural Nutrition) are somewhere in between.

"Research dosage" was confusing to me at first. Most tablets here are described as "1800mg", which actually refers to the dried herb equivalent. Standardised ethanolic extracts are 6:1, so this equates to 300mg of extract. Marker contents are 0.3% hypericin and 3%+ for hyperforin (Pathway stipulates 4% to Indena, so hyperforin content is probably higher initially).

In spite of the stabiliser, it is still best to get batches with the longest use-by dates. For those purchasing lipophilic extractions (i.e. SJW oil preparations), make sure it is fresh, as hyperforin content is known to degrade within 10 weeks in these. There is a popular SJW oil being made in New Zealand; I should have more info about that in a few days.

I hope this has been of some help. Today is the first day of my commitment to SJW ... hope it works for me as well as it has worked for others here!

Epyx

bexley35

Ip/Isp 198.142.230.121
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Obtaining research-grade SJW in Austral" , Tue 19 Feb 00:10

i was just looking to see if there was any info on aussie brands and came across your post...with links and all! what brand do you take although i suppose what your saying is that it really doesn't matter because the supplier is all the same..is that right? i've started on natures brand because it was cheaper and for no other reason!

Epyx

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 203.164.208.162
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Obtaining research-grade SJW in Austral" , Tue 19 Feb 00:24

Yep, that's right. I have been using Herron, but Natural Nutrition (the main Bullivant brand for SJW) seems fine in theory as well. I went for Herron because it definitely matched the standard formulation that Indena ships here, whereas Bullivants seems to have a range of offerings.

My experience was pretty gradual. I can't say that I switched brands and wham! felt a million dollars. It just wasn't like that, in fact I still wonder what part SJW has played in my own "recovery" ... but I'm not ready to stop taking it yet :)

Epyx
Timelord

Ip/Isp 202.47.56.17
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Obtaining research-grade SJW in Austral" , Thu 27 Dec 11:07

hi
fellow australian (sorry this letter got much longer than i intended)
i am on week 4 of using Natural Nutrition Hypericum 2000 +
L-Tyrosine
as yet no improvement, but I know to wait 6 weeks
do you know anything about this brand?
hypericum 2000mg
hypericin 666mcg
hyperiforin 6.7mg
i am a bit inpatient as i need to make a major life decision shortly to do with study versus work and i want to make this decision while i am not feeling down and most importantly with very low energy
one problem i have with medication is working 24/7 as a nurse
my body clock is entirely "stuffed" eating patterns sleep patterns energy levels moods all are totally out of my control
so i can not plan ahead, i want to sleep at the wrong time of the day etc. i've become in 6 years of nursing overweight, coffee dependent to get going and sleeping dependent to stop.
but the point is i take medications at different times of the day every day
historically i used natures own (the yellow and green container with the red writing) this worked after 6 weeks and then i stopped. i went back to it 6 months later for 2 months but it did not help at all.
i still do not understand why it worked the first time and not the second???
i don't want to go on to SSRI because of the side effects and the unnatural feeling of euphoria
bottom line which brand available in australia do you recommend through your experience?
and
how long should i give it before i give up and return to SSRI's
thanks

Timelord

Ip/Isp 202.47.56.17
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Obtaining research-grade SJW in Austral" , Fri 11 Jan 01:25

to Aussiegal
I am wondering how much of my state is due to nursing
shifts, workload and they way were treated by the public
( I work in emergency)
do you think the depression my be caused or exacbated by nursing in your case?

aussiegal

Ip/Isp 203.194.50.30
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):Obtaining research-grade SJW in Austral" , Tue 22 Jan 04:37

Hi timelord,
well, I definately do think that nursing contributes to some of my depression! I actually think that's what started it. It's all the immence stress, the undignified hours we work and the lack of recognition we get for the hard work we do. I do love nursing but a little less pressure and a smaller patient load would, I'm sure help!

aussiegal

Ip/Isp 203.220.12.39
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Obtaining research-grade SJW in Austral" , Sun 6 Jan 18:59

hi timelord. Just wanted to say I know how u feel. I'm also a nurse working scattered shifts and it's mega hard work!!! I've just started taking sjw after feeling very stressed, anxious and low for many many months! I'm taking Herron brand sjw and hoping it's going to work! Has anyone else had success with this brand? If anyone can let me know if there are other good brands that work in Oz that would be great!

mic

Ip/Isp 132.234.250.7
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Obtaining research-grade SJW in Austral" , Sat 8 Dec 22:01

Thanks,

Your information is very important since i tried 900 mg of SJW (dried herb)
Without any effect, it is just not enough.

Do you have an idea where can i buy 5 HTP in Asutralia?

Epyx

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 203.164.208.162
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Obtaining research-grade SJW in Austral" , Mon 10 Dec 20:11:

I asked Pathway International about 5-HTP, because I had read conflicting reports about whether or not it was available in Australia. They said it wasn't included in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods, which meant it wasn't legal to sell it here. Of course, it is still permitted under the Personal Import Scheme. (I'm still waiting for a call back from the TGA regarding this)

In theory, New Zealand would be the ideal place to buy personal import medications from, but in practice, their prices are well above the best US prices. I've had no personal shopping experience yet, but the best/cheapest source appears to be Vitacost.com. They appear to have a very professional operation and prices are the cheapest I've been able to find anywhere e.g. Nature's Way 5-HTP (50mg) is US$8.50. Order say 4 bottles, add in US$23 for shipping, and you end up at about 45c(AU)/tablet landed price. That seems worthwhile to me. iHerb.com is a little bit more expensive, but they have an even larger range. Their shipping price is fixed at US$20, so they may even work out a bit cheaper on large orders.

Maybe a few of us in each capital city could get together and help to share the shipping costs even further? Just a thought.

Epyx

[this message was edited by Epyx on Tue 11 Dec 16:25]

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.