SAMe is a miracle for me

Topic Title: SAMe is a miracle for me
dania

Ip/Isp 81.181.211.66
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"SAMe is a miracle for me" , Sat 5 Nov 01:51

Hi everybody, just wanted to say that SAMe works great for me(when SJW didn`t help at all). I am free of any med for over one year and was hitting to a major depressive episode. Tried everything I could to stay out of any AD til wasn`t able to function anymore.
I took the first pill 4 days ago, 200mg, after a night when I felt my mind completely shut up; couldn`t think at all, just felt paroxistical despair and anxiety. Yesterday I felt I woke up after maybe 3 years; as if the ``settings`` of my environment came back to normal. I can`t have enough of feeling normal. I may ad that SAMe doesn`t affect my anxiety (still high), just the depression. I manage anxiety with CBT.
I found out indications about types SAMe could help here: http://www.nutritional-healing.com.au/content/articles-content.php?heading=Major%20Mental%20Illness%20Biochemical%20Subtypes

TexasGirl

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 209.30.80.236
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):SAMe is a miracle for me" , Sat 12 Nov 08:51

I followed the link to the indications website. That was very interesting. I was about half and half so I will still have to just experiment. Going down the list of "indications", perhaps I was leaning more towards SAMe helping, but it was very much 50/50. That website seemed to indicate that a person with depression would either be helped by SJW or SAMe but not necessarily both. It depends on your own body and chemistry.

Everyone should follow your link if they are interested in getting help with a diagnosis for products and vitamins that might possibly be helpful for their own conditions. This site was not selling SAMe and was not pushing any one product over another.

In a Newsweek article 6 years ago, SAMe was reported as being prescribed by many doctors in the U.S. for depression and treatment of arthritis, and the success rate was high. So, I am perplexed why there is not more activity on this forum about people's experiences with the product. And then again, perhaps since that article was written in Newsweek 6 years ago there has been some very negative information about SAMe. I have no idea.

I'm pretty sure that I am definitely going to check it out. Doctors who contributed to the Newsweek article said the dosage for seeing improvement in arthritis was 400 mg daily, but depression required ratcheting up the dose slowly to as high as 1600 mg although I would be afraid to take that much. It also suggested that people should take the enteric coated tablets because this is absorbed in the intestines so it needs to get through the stomach intact.

The sense I get when reading articles and research papers about SAMe is that it's obviously not for everyone. It may be something that drives you up the wall at 200 mg and that might be an indication that you should not take it. Whereas for others, they may start to feel a positive difference even at 400 mg and can go higher with no adverse effects but have increasing benefit. That type of person is someone for whom this will work.

It is recommended that we take a vacation from all supplements although the length of the vacation is variable. Personally, I would be inclined to take a week off of SAMe once every 3-4 weeks.

Tex

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.