Considering SJW

Topic Title: Considering SJW
nona

Ip/Isp 24.205.62.148
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Swallow problem - okay to open/take powder?" , Thu 30 Mar 23:34:

I've never taken any herb or AD, or any medication at all for that matter. I'm generally in real good health. I'm considering taking SJW for what I think is mild depression, possibly menopause related. My question is that I have difficulty swallowing tablets. Is it okay to open the capsule and pour the powder into juice, or some food like yogurt or applesauce? I know with some medications it is directed not to break or crush the tablets. Would there be any problem with SJW by taking the powder this way?

[this message was edited by nona on Fri 31 Mar 21:44]

Replies:

Celeste

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.149.100.106
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Swallow problem - okay to open/take pow" , Sat 1 Apr 10:34

Hi Nona: There are also SJW formulations in tincture form (i.e. dissolved in alcohol), such as A.Vogel brand. You only take 15 drops or so at the time (I forget now what the box says, and I don't have one on hand right now), in a little bit of water. The amount of alcohol you are getting is negligible, and you can very easily adjust the dose up or down as needed.

nona

Ip/Isp 24.205.62.148
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Swallow problem - okay to open/take pow" , Sat 1 Apr 21:54:

Thank you, Celeste. I did see those tinctures - but thought it might be better to try the capsules for starting out -- since most information regarding results/side effects, etc. is based on the capsule form. I use a liquid for multi-vitamin. But I know with some medications - the directions say not to dissolve, crush or break the tablet. I guess it has something to do with how it is metabolized or goes through the blood. So I wondered about SJW that way. Not being able to swallow capsules is a problem. Thanks so much for offering the info about the tincture.

[this message was edited by nona on Sun 2 Apr 10:23]

alex666

Ip/Isp 212.224.151.155
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Swallow problem - okay to open/take pow" , Sat 1 Apr 00:25

Well i'm doing it for the moment. Cause I found one capsule too much (425mg), I just open it and put a little between my sandwich or yoghurt or something.

nona

Ip/Isp 24.205.62.148
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Swallow problem - okay to open/take pow" , Sat 1 Apr 21:43:

Thanks for the reply! How long have you been taking it? Why weren't you using 300mg?

[this message was edited by nona on Sun 2 Apr 10:24]

alex666

Ip/Isp 212.224.151.95
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):Swallow problem - okay to open/take pow" , Sun 2 Apr 00:03

I am using it for a week now. The brand I have is only in 425 mg. I am giving SJW a chance although i feel really crappy sometimes ...

nona

Ip/Isp 24.205.62.148
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(4):Swallow problem - okay to open/take pow" , Mon 3 Apr 00:51:

Thanks again for the reply. Although I've done some research about SJW - I'm still new to this. Since your brand is 425mg - is it intended for 2 times/day rather than the usual 3 times? Very sorry you're feeling so bad - I do understand that. It's amazing how these conditions can be sooo debilitating. Sure the physicians are quick to prescribe medication (which maybe can help the symptoms) - but if you're like me, you'd rather avoid that option - since that can sometimes cause other complications. Also, I never fully appreciated how much even the digestive condition can effect emotional/mental well-being. But I have made that personal observation. Give that serious attention, too. From what I've read, the time of day for dosage can effect results as well. Since it's only been one week -"they" say it takes a little time. I'm assuming opening the capsule shouldn't alter the effectiveness. Hope things improve.

[this message was edited by nona on Mon 3 Apr 00:55]

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.