St johns wort made me depressed

Topic Title: St johns wort made me depressed
becareful

Ip/Isp 69.157.189.168
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"St johns wort made me depressed" , Sun 5 Mar 10:20

Becareful with SJW for me it was very very bad. It actually cuased me to become depressed. I started taking it in my mid 20s like one a day I was not depressed very healthy in fact, but I heard from someone it can enhance your mood and make you happier .. So I took one a day for years....with no side effects but eventually it accumilated in my brain and made me unstable mentally I fell into a depression unable to sleep and wierd thaughts sadness... depression is not usual in my family.. For years I thaught it was me I took an SSRI zoloft and eventually got off and felt normal again.. Still not realising St johns is not good for me I decided to take it again, 900mg per day within 3 days I started having negative thaughts and depressed feelings after 2 weeks I was depressed sleepless and stopped it ... Again you must stop slowly not at once... Then I got back to normal... after some 6 weeks..
Thsi made me realise the connection.. FOR ME ST JOHNS WORT IS VERY VERY BAD IT MAKES ME DEPRESSED AND THIS MAY HAPPEN TO OTHERS IT IS THE CAUSE OF MY DEPRESSION AND NOTHING ELSE WAS THE CAUSE BECAREFUL .....

Im a Guy !Kelly
Home Page
 Ip/Isp 207.112.23.242
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):St johns wort made me depressed" , Fri 17 Mar 17:51:

I noticed that someone in this thread deleted their response and all the ones below it, thereby deleting my response as well. With the new forum (coming soon) this won't be an issue any longer, but for now I must reply here again.

St. John's Wort is not dangerous, and I challenge anyone to point to scientific studies that prove otherwise. Countless millions of people use it daily to treat their depression, and for most people there are far fewer side-effects than with the prescription meds.

I'm always frustrated when people try to dispell fear that St. John's Wort is dangerous. It is not!! It's been taken for hundreds or thousands of years in different forms. It's taken today by millions of people. If it doesn't work for you, I'm sorry to hear that. But don't tell people it's dangerous, it's really not useful. And why would you take it if you're not depressed?? That just doesn't make any sense.

It's perfectly fine to post your experience here, and I sure won't delete your message just because you don't like SJW. I've spent many, many hours recently going through the past five years of posts and archiving many of the better ones - and that includes messages where people experienced side-effects, or where it didn't work for them. But fear-mongering is another thing altogether. While I suspect it's possible that in not making someone feel better they could feel slightly worse, but that's it. If that's what happenend to you, stop taking it. End of story. And if you're not depressed in the first place, WTF?!

Kelly

[this message was edited by kelly on Fri 17 Mar 17:54]

H2Obuffalo

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 202.28.48.5
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):St johns wort made me depressed" , Mon 6 Mar 23:11

Yes, and this breaking story also just in- people who don't have cancer should not have chemotherapy.

samantha47

Ip/Isp 68.232.44.213
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):St johns wort made me depressed" , Tue 7 Mar 08:57

Both st. john's wort and synthetic antidepressants have the capacity to make some people feel worse and even create problems that did not exist before treatment. For some people this can be very severe and last for weeks or even months after stopping treatment. This is a real risk and a devastating event for the people who have suffered through it. I think that we should be able to discuss our experiences without being ridiculed - isn't that what this forum is all about? Just because we all have varying degrees and types of depression and different reactions to drugs/herbs doesn't mean we can't still support one another. I'm not trying to be argumentative and we are all entitled to our opinions but I think we should treat eachother with respect - most of us are suffering enough already. And yes, st. john's wort is wonderful, but it is not for everybody. Best, samantha.

pixybell

Ip/Isp 62.255.32.13
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(4):St johns wort made me depressed" , Tue 7 Mar 13:56

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I kind of agree with buffalo why take something if your perfectly healthy, what is the point and then come and warn people NOT to take it, but your perfectly right we are all entitled to our opinions.

That you are right is what this forum is all about. I apologise if I have upset you in anyway.

samantha47

Ip/Isp 68.232.44.213
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(5):St johns wort made me depressed" , Wed 8 Mar 08:46

Hi Pixybell,
Thanks for your reply. And I do, by the way, see your point as well. I guess I just assumed that this person might actually be mildly depressed because I know some people (including myself years ago) who have claimed to be healthy when they know deep down that there really is something wrong with them. And most people who are perfectly healthy don't even think to try sjw or get prescriptions for zoloft. And I also know that some people can have very bad reactions to sjw.
But anyway, I really didn't mean to make a big deal out of this. Thanks again for your reply - it's nice when we can all agree to disagree with no hard feelings! All the best, Samantha

pixybell

Ip/Isp 62.252.197.85
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(6):St johns wort made me depressed" , Wed 8 Mar 12:50

Hiya samantha,

I removed the posting I didn't want to upset anyone and your right most of us on here are having a hard enough time as it is without negativity.

Thanks for the reply takecare pixy xx