St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigue

Topic Title: St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigue
justine

Ip/Isp 82.36.72.128
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigue" , Wed 28 Dec 13:32

I have been on SJW for 6 weeks now, taking 340mg 3 times a day. I have noticed that since I have started taking SJW I can have a few drinks without getting a bad headache or feeling like I want to go to bed in the very early evening.

I used to suffer a lot of headaches and 'heavy head' sensations and generally feel very tired all the time and needing a lot of sleep (but sleeping very badly). On the SJW I have noticed I get a very nice light bubbly feeling in my head all day. I have not had a single headache for 6 weeks and this is a breakthrough for me.

The other big improvement with SJW is to my general well-being and energy levels. My skin is wonderful (used to suffer a bad complexion). I can stay awake past 9pm and I have lots of energy. My main love is running, but I was almost on the verge of giving it up before I discovered SJW. Now I can go for a run and carry on with my normal day, without having to go to bed in the afternoon for a sleep. What a wonderful drug SJW is, I wish I had discovered it 10 years ago.

H2Obuffalo

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 202.28.48.5
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Wed 28 Dec 19:34

Thanks for posting your experience, Justine. What brand are you taking?

-H2Obuffalo

justine

Ip/Isp 82.36.72.128
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Thu 29 Dec 02:01

Hi again H2o Buffalo, I have read a few more of your posts and see you have had quite a lot of experience with different brands of SJW. How long have you been taking it and did you go down the route of conventiional ADs first?

Having studied the label on my superdrug brand I see that each tablet is 340mg and contains 1000 ug (well actually the symbol is not 'ug' but i don't have the character on my keyboard to do the back-to-front 'u'. So I don't really know what this means. That's all it says.

The Biovea brand I got from the US contains 0.3% hypericins and each capsule is 450mg. Maybe I will switch and give this a try.

At the same time I ordered the Biovea SJW, I also got some
5-HTP and Melatonin for sleep. I gave up on these after a few days as I couldn't concentrate very well on anything during the day and felt rather agitated. I guess that if the SJW works by itself I should stick to it. After 6 weeks on SJW my sleep is starting to get a lot better and my metabolism and body clock is a lot more stable than before.

I found SJW after being prescribed Paxil by my GP. I took Paxil for 4 days, but felt a lot worse and it completely killed my sleep. When I came off the Paxil after just 4 days I had a very bad time and sunk very low. I started the SJW immediately but only took 1 300 mg a day at first as this is what it says on the label. After about 5 days I felt better, but not great and as I could feel worries and anxieties about going back to work starting to creep back, I decided to take and extra SJW a day.

Within 1 hour of taking the SJW I felt completely lifted and somehow my mind would not let me worry about things. And that was the start of the good experience I am having now.

Having researched on the internet I see that the recommended dose is 900mg a day. Unfortunately my GP here in the UK knows very little about SJW or doseage so I am really self-medicating at the moment.

justine

Ip/Isp 82.36.72.128
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Thu 29 Dec 01:38

Hi. I am taking the own-brand I got from the UK chemist Superdrug. When I run out I am going to switch to Biovea, which I got over the net from the US.

I think I have ben very luck with SJW. I have read that you are not supposed to mix it with alcohol, but it seems to be ok for me!!

silke

Ip/Isp 87.49.227.231
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Thu 29 Dec 08:41

Dear Justine,
I just noticed that you order your Biovea from the US, I order from Biovea UK, is it better/cheaper to order from the US?

justine

Ip/Isp 82.36.72.128
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(4):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Thu 29 Dec 09:32

Dear Silke

That's a good question! The company I order from is called Agestop and the Biovea SJW cost £12.95 for 240 capsules of 450mg. I thought it would be coming from the UK, but I also ordered 5-HTP and Melatonin at the same time (you can't get Melatonin in Europe) and the whole lot was shipped from the US - Hollywood to be precise!! It took 7 days to arrive.

How do you find the Biovea?

Justine

silke

Ip/Isp 87.49.227.231
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(5):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Sat 31 Dec 06:23

Dear Justine,
I haven't ordered their SJW for awhile as I've switched to Bioforce liquid SJW but I seem to recall that it was comparable to the other brands I've tried and it was exactly the same amount/price as you mentioned. They do happen to have melatonin on their UK site but I haven't ordered that, maybe they don't send it out if you order from Europe. I still have some melatonin I brought from the US but was hoping to use Biovea as a backup when I run out. I'm impressed that you recieved your order so quickly, was shipping terribly expensive?

justine

Ip/Isp 82.36.72.128
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(6):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Mon 2 Jan 07:30

Hi Silke
I don't remember a shipping charge at all - I think it was free if your order was over a certain amount.

However, after just 2 days on the Biovea I have switched back to my Superdrug own brand SJW. I noticed that the Biovea gave me a kind of warm mushy feeling in my head, whilst the Superdrug was a much brighter crisper feel. Its amazing that there could be such a difference! Also, on the boivea I had my first ever headache in 6 weeks and 1 day of feeling very tired. Today is my 2nd day back on my old brand again and I am starting to feel fine again. I notice that there has been a lot of discussion about different brands on this site, but I never thought there could be such a difference from one brand to the next!!!

Is there any difference or benefit with the liquid form SJW you are taking? Does it kick in quicker?

silke

Ip/Isp 87.49.227.231
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(7):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Mon 2 Jan 09:59

Dear Justine,
Thanks for the shipping info, it certainly helps. It has sometimes been frustrating trying to find a company that carries most of the items I want to order at a reasonable price and with reasonable shipping.
The liquid kicks in very quickly. Initially, I used it in addition to capsules as a "pick me up" if I felt my mood starting to deteriorate during the day. I put it in an eye-dropper bottle so I could give myself a squirt without having to find water or have too many people notice. Now that I seem to have stabilized on the SJW, I found that I seem to do better just on the liquid, not as edgy or restless. But that restlessness may have just been due to the brands of capsules I have tried. The difference between brands is very surprising!

justine

Ip/Isp 82.36.72.128
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(8):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Mon 2 Jan 10:41

Silke

Thanks for the info on the liquid. I may try some, though at the moment I am managing ok on the tablets, although they do take between 1-2hrs to have the full effect.

Does the liquid taste ok? Do you dissolve it in a drink at all or just neat?

silke

Ip/Isp 87.49.227.231
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(9):St Johns Wort, Alcohol & Chronic Fatigu" , Sat 7 Jan 08:27

Dear Justine,
I take it straight and it is a little strong but I don't think it tastes bad. They do say you can put it water. It was nice having it as a quick back up when I was taking the tablets.

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.