Topic Title: Who Likes Prozac ?
Jackle

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 81.70.238.88
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Who Likes Prozac ?" , Sat 8 Jan 11:42

Hello to all and sorry if this subject seems inappropriate at this site, or even offensive, but I want to know more from people that do have positive results from Prozac or other SSRI's.

Perhaps they do not visit this site.

My case is that I have never been diagnosed as depressed and never had a prescribtion drug. Being depressed to me is as natural as the moon at night, not always there but nothing special.

Only after a serious dip last summer and intense reading on internet, and especially on this site, did I recognize a depressed individual in myself.

It does explain a lot about my current life.

After reading numerous posts from people that fought their condition and won, I felt that I deserve a better life, too. Getting up to buy my first dose of SJW was really difficult, it was. But I did and I did experience relief, placebo-induced or not.

Problem is I'm still depressed, it worked for a couple of months and now I am on the supposedly best, most expensive, highest hyperforin content SJW (Kira forte LI160) and I take 2 of them each day, and still I rank high in the depression checklist.

Recently I found myself in the drug-store to buy more SJW + rhodolia + 5-htp + valerian, but that's not the way I want to go. I want to fight my depression, I don't want to fill my cupboard with products that might or might not work for me.

Now I seriously consider going to my docter and talk with him about this. I fear it and feel like a looser, but anything better than being depressed. If he suggest I take an SSRI, I probably will.

So I want to hear from people that have or have had good results with SSRI's. There is plenty to find about homocide, suicide, sick fantasies when on any of those drugs, but that won't be the whole story. Of course I'm interested in side-effects as well, but information about that is not hard to find. Books on Prozad, ie Talking to Prozac, Talking Back to Prozac and Prozac Nation (to name a few that I detected) are not available at my local library.

If you understand what I'm asking and if you have genuine good experience with SSRI's, please share it with us.

Thanks, Jackle

Jackle

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 81.70.238.88
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Who Likes Prozac ?" , Tue 8 Feb 02:27

Thank you smilin' suzy and bonedragon, for your honest contribution. I really had a dip and almost sought 'pharmaceutical' help. But then I decided to give SJW another change and heck!

Kira doesn't work for me.

I reasoned that the most expensive brand is also the most effective. It is not (for me). I bought a 150 pills bottle for euro 15 from a dutch herb retailer 'De Tuinen'. First I took double the usual dose but now I'm back on the average 3 times 300 mg 0.3% and I am doing well.

Change brands, I already knew it but it's so hard to follow advice when you're depressed.

smilin' suzie

Ip/Isp 64.110.219.208
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Who Likes Prozac ?" , Thu 27 Jan 09:29

Hey Jackle

Firstly depression sucks and I feel for you having been there myself. I'd like to say that I've had a positive experience with an SSRI, namely Effexor. I've been on it for 14 months now and it seriously saved my life, my relationships and my sanity. I started on 75 mg for 6 months which worked well and then stupidly went off it to try SJW for a couple of months which did NOTHING for me but send me into a huge depression .. so went back onto Effexor but this time had to increase it to 150 mg. Only side effect on higher dose was slight constipation but nothing too bad.

However, I've recently tried combining 50 mg 5HTP/day with my Effexor with even better results. The only time Effexor did not work was during PMS and I find with Effexor and 5HTP combined I'm just a happy little vegemite all month long which is VERY unusual for me to get used to (in a good way). I've cut back on Effexor now to 75 mg and it's working well with still the 50 mg HTP/day.

Don't be scared of talking to your doctor. If you need an SSRI this is nothing to be embarrassed about. It might help if you get your doctor to explain what an SSRI does as depression is a chemical imbalance and is totally not your fault. I used to think like you that I needed to just get it together myself and not rely on drugs or tablets of any sort but truth is this type of thinking will not help your illness and you do have an illnes. Good news is that it CAN be treated.

I've also found it's trial and error so if you go on an SSRI it may not work for you while something else might so don't be afraid to try things until you find something that suits YOU. For me Effexor saved my life and I'll never downplay it's positive effect in my life. But I'm also hoping I can go totally off it eventually and be on just 5HPT but if I can't I'll stay on Effexor and 5HTP. I still don't like to admit I have a problem with depression but I know going off my Effexor and trying SJW which didn't help showed me I DO!! So .. I have to treat it and as long as I do life is dandy.

Good luck and be kind to yourself.

BoneDragon

Ip/Isp 81.86.96.58
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Who Likes Prozac ?" , Tue 18 Jan 07:15

I'm sorry but all SSRIs aren't very nice long term to take, 1st week is rough as well for most, and its efficacy in moderate depression only is questionable. Weight loss/gain, anorgasmia and loss of libido are common affecting more like 80% not 5% as clinical trials state. This is for all SSRIS. Like your SJW experience they are little better than placebo or poop out. This doesnt mean they are useless, they do save lives. They are supposed to be used as a crutch while you make positive changes in your life. Although SSRIs are little better than placeo for depression, they are however markedly better than placebo for anxiety and chronic major suicidal depression (Which doesnt sound like your flavor). Depression with anxiety has a very high suicide rate, so they are invaluable in that area. SJW as well.
Everyone whose been on Prozac or an SSRI have a similar experience to Kelly, at 1st great, then after a month its YUK with side effects! Its no magic pill. It doesnt make you happy, it emotionlly blunts you.
If you really want to try an SSRI I'd suggest a low dose of Celexa or Lexapro, which has a better side effect profile than Prozac.

sugarstar

Ip/Isp 68.53.61.38
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Who Likes Prozac ?" , Sat 25 Jun 08:41

If SJW were ever to stop working for you, I personally take an SSRI and it works wonders for me. One of the things I am currently on is Zoloft and I didn't have any side-effects with it. (of course I know of people who had bad side-effects with it, switched to something else which worked great.) I took Stratera which actually made me more depressed and I landed in a hospital, even though for some people it works perfectly. I took Welbutrin and I had a seizure, but my sister is on it and she has never had a problem. Aside from Zoloft I also take Concerta for my ADHD (*shut up Tom Cruise*) and the only side-effect I had was weight loss.
Since you are back on SJW now, I hope that it continues to work for you and I hope you have no problems with it. Still, I think it is always interesting to read other people's experiences with medications.
Best of luck!

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.