Valerian for Anxiety

Topic Title: Valerian for Anxiety
desperate1

Ip/Isp 141.152.54.160
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Valerian for Anxiety" , Thu 23 Feb 19:23

I was wondering if anyone has taken valerian in combination with SJW and seen any effects for their SAD/anxiety. I am currently on SJW and thinking about combining valerian with it. I just want to know if it has worked effectively on anyone.

Celeste

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.149.100.106
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Valerian for Anxiety" , Tue 7 Mar 12:10

Hello: I have used Valerian with good results to reduce anxiety. I don't take it on a regular basis. I have used it in the past months whenever I have been confronted with an anxiety inducing situation. It does not make me drowsy, and usually calms me down within half an hour of taking it. I don't think there is a problem with taking it with SJW. I am not taking SJW right now, since I find that Rhodiola and 5HTP have given me the best results for dealing with depression & anxiety. The SJW helped with the mood, but wasn't quite effective for me for the anxiety symptoms.

sadgirl1

Ip/Isp 12.72.29.79
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Valerian for Anxiety" , Thu 30 Mar 15:13

Celeste--which brands do you use?

Celeste

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.149.100.106
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):Valerian for Anxiety" , Thu 30 Mar 21:45

Hello: I only use it sporadically at the moment, but the one I have is from "Flora". I don't think it makes as much a difference what brand you use, as it seems to be with the SJW–but I might be wrong there. I just recently started taking A.Vogel's "Avenaforce" (flowering oats or Avena sativa) since the product said it's for treating anxiety, irritability and fatigue, which is exactly what plagues me the most. So far it seems quite good. I also just restarted SJW again (I took 5-HTP for a while). Previously, SJW was not too effective with the anxiety, so I'm hoping that combined with the Avena it will do the trick. I am also using Flora's SJW at the moment–it's in capsule form and dissolved in olive oil instead of the dried powder of most other brands, although it doesn't say anything about "standardization" (some practitioners seem to favor non-standardized products because presumably they contain all the medicianl ingredients of the plant and not just a certain component). I will try the A.Vogel brand (in tincture form) soon to see if it's more effective. Good luck!

Celeste

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.149.100.106
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(4):Valerian for Anxiety" , Sat 1 Apr 20:16

Hi again: I just realized that the Flora brand bottle does state "Standardized Herbal Extracts". The SJW in particular, though, does not say anything about the Hypericin/Hiperforin content, and each capsule is 430mg.

Deities

Ip/Isp 68.150.55.190
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(5):Valerian for Anxiety" , Mon 3 Apr 19:41

I have also been taking the Flora sjw for about 2 weeks now. I am also looking for something else to add to it. The sjw all by itself isn't really helping with my axiety...yes I know I should give it a few months to work...it has definately helped with my mood though. Any input from others about what can also be taken for anxiety would be muchly appreciateld.

Deities

Ip/Isp 68.150.55.190
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(6):Valerian for Anxiety" , Mon 3 Apr 20:36:

Celeste, the flora brand says to the sjw 3-5 times a day, how many times a day are you taking it? I didn't realize Valerian was also for anxiety, I thought it was a sleeping aid. Can the Valerian be taking on a regular basis or is it only for occassional use?

[this message was edited by Deities on Mon 3 Apr 20:40]

Celeste

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.149.100.106
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(7):Valerian for Anxiety" , Tue 4 Apr 13:24

Hi: This is what I find a little annoying about Flora's SJW, the indication to take three to five capsules a day. When I first started it in the Fall, I was taking only 2 or 3. Then I stopped and took 5HTP for a while. I am just experimenting for now with SJW and Avenaforce to see if it will take care of the anxiety as well as the 5HTP. For now I am taking 4 capsules of the SJW (2 in the morning, 2 at lunch). The lady at the store said she takes six of them during Winter and it has made a big difference for her. It's been almost 2 weeks since I restarted with SJW. I have more anxiety again than when I was on the 5HTP. I am inclined to say that the 5HTP works better for me because of the anxiety factor. But I am concerned about it stopping working, as some peolpe have mentioned in the 5HTP section. I'll continue with the SJW for a few weeks, to see if the anxiety gets better. I might also switch to the A.Vogel tincture form, to see if that brand makes a difference. I am not sure if the Avena force is working a whole deal on the anxiety symptoms, although I liked what I read about it on the A.Vogel website. Someone somewhere else just a few days ago was impressed about the effects of Passion Flower. I might give that a try eventually, although I don't want to end up like a "walking health food store"!
I think it's o.k. to take the Valerian regularly, although the bottles always recommend to take it short term, because of possible "withdrawal symtoms". I am not sure how "serious" they would be, certainly nothing like trying to come off sleeping pills. Did you just start the Flora brand SJW? Have you tried other brands before? Are you noticing any difference?

Deities

Ip/Isp 68.150.55.190
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(8):Valerian for Anxiety" , Tue 4 Apr 16:58

I have been taking the flora sjw for about 2 weeks now (between 4-5 times a day), I definately noticed a difference the first week but now I'm experience high anxiety in the morning (almost to the point where I can't work)...the afternoon is much better but it's still there. I also read about the Passion Flower and I felt the same way as you about the "walking heath food store". The one thing I love about sjw is that I now feel motivated and actually have energy unlike before. Thank god I don't have any fatigue with it.

I tried sjw a few years ago for a short period of time (1 month) and it worked wonders..it wasn't for anxiety though it was more for depression.

I have also read many posts stating that Clarocet is great for anxiety...I just can't find it in any stores and I'm a little reluctant to order it online. If anyone knows what stores in Canada carries Clarocet please let me know.

I find it really hard to find a good health food store that actually has employees with knowledge about sjw and anxiety.

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.