effexor

Topic Title: effexor
squeege97

Ip/Isp 131.156.37.166
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"effexor" , Fri 27 Jan 14:37

I have just been prescribed Effexor 75 mg 1 daily. I am afraid to start taking it.....I need more information/input....Help

serena70

Ip/Isp 70.50.139.156
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):effexor" , Tue 31 Jan 09:22

hi there,

well, i took effexor 75mg daily for about a year. i didn't have any serious problems with it. but i didn't want to be on it for long so i stopped cold turkey. don't do this. it was very hard to come off of. i had to titrate the dose....even opening the capsule up to take approx. 18mg as i was coming off.

squeege97

Ip/Isp 131.156.37.166
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):effexor" , Tue 31 Jan 09:40

Did you experience the weight gain? I don't fully trust my Dr. and my symptoms are not as intense as they used to be. I used to want to die on a daily basis, now it's not as often. I am afraid that the things I will have to deal with are going to be worse than the symptoms I am taking it for. I am already very overweight and do not need any more weight gain. In my job, I have to be on the ball all the time. I can't be fuzzy headed and sleepy. My doctor tells me it will help me in my job. I am just really afraid it's going to change me somehow and people will find out about it.

FMacKay

Ip/Isp 209.206.228.39
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):effexor" , Sun 5 Feb 03:23

I took effexor for several months a few years ago and, unlike my experience with many other antidepressants, lost weight while taking it. I am treatment resistant, low energy with weight problems, and effexor helped with mood, energy, motivation and seemed to normalize my appetite.

While effexor worked it was the most helpful prescription antidepressant I've taken to date however it seemed to lose effectiveness after a couple of months or so, even increasing to a very high dose. Looking back I wonder if I should possibly have tried minimizing the dose before quitting, because I noticed a point where I felt better as I was decreasing the dose to quit. Don't know if that might have worked or not.

Effexor has a reputation for generating bad withdrawal symptoms, but I was able to lower the dose, over a period of a few weeks, and quit with no problem.

Celeste

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.149.100.106
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):effexor" , Sat 4 Feb 14:52

Hello there! I took Effexor about six years ago, for probably about a year (don't remember exactly). It seemed somewhat more helpful than other meds I had tried, and which I often had to quit within the first week because of unbearable anxiety. What I noticed with the Effexor was that I had to go up one pant size within the first six weeks on it. It also appeared to give me high blood pressure (140/90's). The doctor was telling me at the time that the increase in blood pressure was probably from the contraceptive pill. I am not so sure. Anyway, I ended up discontinuing both at roughly the same time--so I don't really know which one increased my bp, or if it was the combo of both. I was in my early 30's then, so I wasn't willing to live with high blood pressure this early in life and the risk associated for later years. Unfortunately I did keep the same pant size. But then, I've had two babies in the last 4 years, so I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself. :-)
Anyway, the Effexor was better than some other meds for me, but I would suggest anybody taking it to carefully monitor their blood pressure. Good luck!

squeege97

Ip/Isp 131.156.37.166
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(4):effexor" , Mon 6 Feb 06:36

Thank you to all those who provided input. It looks about 50/50 some with good experience some with bad. So, I took my first dose yesterday. Superbowl sunday. I had a slight headache but did have some increased energy and did not eat as much as usual. (this is good) I had quite a bit of anxiety over taking the drug but I got through the day and thought I would have a really good night's rest for a change. That was not the case. I didn't sleep well at all. I took the second one this morning, not really missing the sleep yet, wonder why? Feeling just slightly strange but the doctor said I would have to get used to the pills. I still am having alot of anxiety over taking the pills. (and over having someone find out I'm taking the pills) I am a business professional and I feel that it could be damaging to my reputation. If others find out.

squeege97

Ip/Isp 131.156.37.166
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(5):effexor" , Wed 8 Feb 14:53

I have made it to day 4 taking the Effexor. I am already losing weight as the drug seems to have normalized my appetite. I still have not had a night of uninterrupted sleep but I am sleeping a little more each night. I am still having some anxiety and feeling a little disconnected at times but it is not too intense. What is really bothering me is the constant headache. Has anyone else had this? The headache is less intense than it was the first two days but never really goes away. Will it go away? I wonder if this is somthing I should worry about??

Deities

Ip/Isp 68.150.58.14
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(6):effexor" , Fri 17 Mar 20:00

I took Effexor for about 5 days and had horrible side effects from it..ie. increased anxiety, appetite loss, acne, fuzzy headed...so I stopped taking it. I have since switched over to sjw and hoping that will help with my anxiety. I have been off Effexor for about two days now and am still feeling the effects from it. I hope it works for you...keep us posted

squeege97

Ip/Isp 131.156.37.166
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(7):effexor" , Tue 21 Mar 06:40

The headaches finally went away and I was able to lose 15 pounds, a great start on the 100 I need to shed. At first my appetite was normalized and I did pretty well but this last weekend I reverted back to my compulsive feeding frenzy/self hating behavior and I'm not sure why. It's been over a month since I have done that. I just hate it...that feeling just engulfs me and I feel like I'm drowning in it....completely powerless to control it. I actually shake with anticipation and eat and eat until my stomach hurts and feels like it can't hold any more and then I eat more. Then, I start the cycle of hating the behavior, hating the person who can't control the behavior (me) and wanting to just die and get it over with because I'm tired of trying to cope with it. The jury is still out on the effexor, it must be helping because although I had the feeding frenzy weekend, I don't really feel that bad about it. Maybe it's the effexor, maybe it's because I'm down 15 pounds and my cloths still fit. who knows..... What is SJW?

Deities

Ip/Isp 68.150.58.14
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(8):effexor" , Wed 22 Mar 20:18

sjw - St. John's Wort. This is day 6 or 7 (lost count already) on it and I'm feeling great...well definately better than before, but not yet back to my old self. The anxiety has decreased dramatically...I was actually able to meet with a client today without having to give myself a major pep talk. Oh and no anxiety attack this morning when I was getting ready for work...woohoo.

I truly hope the Effexor works for you and if it doesn't there are many other things to try...just don't give up. I have read many good articles about Effexor, it just didn't work for me. It killed my appetite, which isn't good for me as I have a very hard time keeping my weight up.

Please keep me posted on how it goes.

squeege97

Ip/Isp 131.156.37.166
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(9):effexor" , Thu 23 Mar 12:17

Oh, St. John's Wort...I had tried that once. I didn't take it very long, just a few days, because it made me sleepy. Before I started on the Effexor I had pretty good luck with 5-HTP. It helped me sleep better for a while until my anxiety got worse. How high of a dose of Effexor were you taking? mine is 75 MG.

Deities

Ip/Isp 142.179.166.36
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(10):effexor" , Thu 23 Mar 15:15

I was only taking the 37.5 (something like that)

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.