Topic Title: an important note about advertisers
Im a Guy !Kelly
Home Page
 Ip/Isp 209.107.104.204
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"an important note about advertisers" , Fri 28 Mar 23:55:

I discovered today, much to my disappointment, that my advertising provider has created a "contextual ad" that has been automatically inserted into my website. Basically, it is a generic type of ad that allows them to fill any sort of content they choose -- as opposed to only the ads that I have picked, as it has always been in the past. The net result is that I've discovered they are displaying ads that sell products like SAM-e, 5-HTP, and SJW.

I believe this is unacceptable. I don't want any advertisers who sell the products we talk about to be shown on my website -- that's not the point of having ads here. If I wanted to do that I would have setup shop here and done so long ago. The ads exist here only to cover costs and help me improve the site.

My apologies to anyone who has seen these ads and been given the wrong idea. I only discovered this because I'm away from home and using my parent's computer -- my own computer has the ads blocked and don't get shown, ironically enough. I've never quite figured out why this is.

Comments about this? Email me.

[this message was edited by kelly on Fri 28 Mar 23:55]

Replies:

elizabethe

Ip/Isp 24.58.3.255
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):an important note about advertisers" , Mon 31 Mar 07:30

I noticed the blurb ad for SJW. Of course that word would catch my eye. I think we all understand that the ads on this site help pay for it but it was different when the ad was for SJW. If you allow an ad for a product that 90-95% of the people on this site use it may be assumed by some that you are endorsing this product
I am more comfortable not having SAM-e, 5-HTP, and SJW products advertised on this site, it becomes too personal. That is only my opinion and it is ultimately your decision.

Im a Guy !Kelly
Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.144.31.5
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):an important note about advertisers" , Wed 2 Apr 12:14

As I indicated, I do not want ads for SJW (or any thing else we discuss here) to be placed on this site either! The ads you saw were a slip-up due to a new type of content medium Burst Media has started using. I hope it doesn't happen again -- I'm staying more on top of my advertiser's selection criteria. If I cannot keep those ads off the site, I'll get rid of the advertising altogether.

k

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.