5-htp The good and the bad

Topic Title: 5-htp The good and the bad
MasonKey

Ip/Isp 24.22.69.240
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"5-htp The good and the bad (A review)" , Sun 12 Mar 12:06:

Just giving my review of 5 htp after close to five months on it. I was taking it for depression (low serotonin levels) essentially. Here is the conclusion I have come to.

If you have mild depression, and are otherwise a stable individual (no bipolar basically), 5 htp is good for the short term. It really does work, and it's antidepressant effects are just as real as the regular SSRI's. The plus is the side effects are much less save one; decrease in libido remains. Other than that, no major side effects, (insomnia, fatigue, sweating). For short term non bipolar (mild) depression, it is great.

Now for the down. If you are looking for something long term for severe or bipolar depression, this is not the stuff. They say do not take it for more than three months, and there is a reason. It wears off. Your body builds up a tolerance, and you have to take more and more, until it reaches levels you are not supposed to be at anyway, and it continues to degrade. It's a losing battle long term. Great stuff initially, but it is not a continuous long term medication.

I like 5 htp, I would recommend it for short term non severe depression. Don't take it if you are looking for long term, just as they say, three months max, there is not much of a point beyond that, you just end up taking more and more to get the same effect, you end up always chasing the place you want to be. I am no huge fan of the SSRI's and their side effects, but at least they hold and don't degrade. Again, 5 htp is good short term, but in the long run, it's effect diminish and leave you back where you started, no matter how much you take in the end.

[this message was edited by MasonKey on Sun 12 Mar 12:06]

Replies:

pixybell

Ip/Isp 62.255.32.13
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):5-htp The good and the bad (A review)" , Sun 12 Mar 14:13

Hiya,

I agree, I took 5htp for nearly 5 months and yes the effects wore off, I gradually started to notice my sleeping pattern was becoming erratic again and my moods lowered considerably. It was great first of all and I felt good for a couple of months but alas like you have pointed out it only worked for a short period of time.

I have taken prescription meds for a number of years and have been off them for a good few months now, 5htp was great for a short period I hope it helps others who need a bit of help and arn't looking for a longterm solution. Pixy x

Celeste

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.149.100.106
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):5-htp The good and the bad (A review)" , Sat 18 Mar 15:21

Hi: Has anybody else experienced this? It is of great concern for me, and probably for others who, like myself, are relying on the 5-HTP working long-term. I took it some years ago for about 8 months (discontinued it due to pregnancy), didn't notice any reduction in effectiveness then. I started it again about two years later. It didn't seem to work as well, but I attributed it to the "enteric coating". I switched back to regular capsules, and they seem to work fine. I take 50mg in the morning, and 50mg at bedtime. I also use Rhodiola in the morning, it has made a big difference in terms of energy levels. I tried SJW for about 5 months, but it didn't help as much for the anxiety symptoms, for which I find 5-HTP does a better job for me. I am "worried" of course that both the 5-HTP and the Rhodiola might stop working, and to be back to where I started. After you found that the 5-HTP stopped working, did you take something else? Is there a good alternative? I'd love to hear what has worked after the 5-HTP stopped having as good an effect. Thanks!

pixybell

Ip/Isp 62.255.32.13
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):5-htp The good and the bad (A review)" , Mon 27 Mar 07:34

Hiya,

I found that the 5htp just seemed to wear off and my symptoms came back, my sleeping started first I just put it down to a bit of stress, and continued to take the 5htp. Only it got worse and I started to feel down again and tearful, I knew in my heart that it was lessening and that I was feeling rubbish again. I did continue to take it for a few more weeks hoping it would get better, unfortunately it never did. I switched to sjw about 6 weeks ago, I can't say I feel dramatically different or that my sleeping is excellent. I am giving it ago as the alternative of going back on prescription meds isn't what I want. I feel a little better than I did and I'm just keeping check on how I feel.

I have been taking kira only its really expensive, but if it works its worth it. If your 5htp is still working great, only for me it just lessened and I had to try something else. Hope yours continues for you!!.

Pixy x

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.