5-HTP helps depression but I can't sleep!!! - http://www.sjwinfo.org Forums
      Home
      5-HTP
       5-HTP helps depression but I can't sleep!!!

Topic Title: 5-HTP helps depression but I can't sleep!!!
rbdy2

Ip/Isp 208.18.85.182
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"5-HTP helps depression but I can't sleep!!!" , Tue 20 Sep 08:29

Has anyone had difficulty falling asleep after having taken 5-HTP during the day? I am at about 300mg taken in 100mg increments in the morning, noon, and late afternoon. AND I CAN'T SLEEP. I'm certainly not getting any REM sleep. I don't wake up super-groggy, and in fact, after about an hour of being awake, don't notice any signs of fatigue normally associated with sleep deprivation.

This stuff really is helping with my depression and anxiety, but I'm wondering if the returns are going to diminish as my lack of REM sleep catches up with me.

zzzmike

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 66.19.115.67
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):5-HTP helps depression but I can't slee" , Sun 9 Apr 16:01

I have had insomnia for 20 years. I have had 3 sleep studies. Doctors dont know what is going on. I am glad I saw your post. in past 5 htp has helped with depression and anxiety but not with sleep. SJW has helped me with anxiety and I seem to be more alert. I am just taking SJW now. I am more alert since being off Lexapro. I am still looking for something for sleep. My doctor said he thinks its is from depression. I think that the chronic insomnia is causing my off and on depression. If you find anything for insomnia please let me know. I will let you know of anything that helps me. mike lynch

mike

Celeste

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 68.149.100.106
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):5-HTP helps depression but I can't slee" , Tue 20 Sep 13:26

Hi: A few months ago when I increased the dosage to 200mg/day, I started having difficulty sleeping through the night. I also read on a webpage that if a person has difficulty sleeping, that they are probably taking more than they need. I am taking 50mg before bed + one 430mg capsule SJW. I just started adding 50mg 5-HTP in the morning to see whether it helps to further reduce the anxiety. But if I have trouble sleeping again, then I will probably try increasing the SJW instead.

rbdy2

Ip/Isp 208.18.85.182
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):5-HTP helps depression but I can't slee" , Tue 20 Sep 14:14

Thanks for your response. I am worried about taking SJW with 5-HTP, but I will try reducing my dosage. I've taken 100mg today so far and I'll just continue with that in the morning to see how it works. Hopefully a reduction in dosage won't mean a swing back into depression. But man, I can't wait to sleep again!

Dancing Swan

Ip/Isp 208.187.244.49
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):5-HTP helps depression but I can't slee" , Wed 26 Oct 19:52

Gee, I was only taking 50 mg (which contains bit of b6) that might have caused it to be in the bloodstream leading to insomnia or it might have been simply the dosage (yes, should start w/a low dosage I have read and even at 50 mg which might be too much for one.).

Also read it should be taken in the evening, before bedtime on an empty tummy. Think I will forgo the 5htp & go with the SJW to see what happens and then add a bit 5htp (less than than the 50 mg) if necessary.

Glad to see this post, I thought I was loosing it! I just started using 5htp and was sleeping like a baby until these past few days! Not good when one needs to get up and work but must admit I didn't get that sleepy/groggy feeling which was good!

LaurieLu

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 12.176.254.22
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(3):5-HTP helps depression but I can't slee" , Thu 29 Sep 21:00

I recently began taking SJW in conjunction with my 5-HTP and have been sleeping like a baby!

zzzmike

Home Page
 Ip/Isp 66.19.115.67
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(4):5-HTP helps depression but I can't slee" , Sun 9 Apr 16:05

I have had insomnia for 20 years. I have been to several doctors and have tried traditional medicine and several natural. I am on SJW and it helps my anxiety and the depression that I have from the insomnia. But I still cant sleep. What brand of 5Htp and SJw do you use and how much of each one. Maybe taking both will help me also. Thank you for sharing. mike

mike

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.