Bad news

Topic Title: Bad news
petite

Ip/Isp 70.82.77.244
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Bad news" , Sun 1 Jan 04:33

I was happy for some time (70 days) believing I had found the answer to my battle against depression or PMDD or whatever it is that ruins my life every now and then, for I had found SAM-e and SJW.

Unfortunately on the night of Dec. 25th that became a misconception: I had to call helpline for a suicide episode. Not sure if it was related to the Holidays or my 2nd day of menstruation but whatever it was, the supplements were not par to its impact on my health.

Since then I'm back on AD medication but can't say that's the sole answer to my problems yet.

I can't stand talk therapy but it's common sense to get some kind of therapy besides medication.

For now I read as much as possible about what I'm up against and this web site in particular has been helpful with the AD meds info: http://www.crazymeds.org /

All in all I just hope I find some kind of progress in my life, it has been a downfall for quite a while.

Ravengrrrl

Ip/Isp 12.219.246.186
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Bad news" , Sat 14 Jan 20:30

Petite - Hang in there! I'm just recovering from a big back-step and the resulting psychic pain. Its very rough to feel so empowered and functional; and then to have it all slap you in the face.

I go through regular cycles of up and down (some hormonal effects, some stress-related, some, well, I just can't explain). Each bought of depression is getting more frustrating because of the exhaustion that I just CAN'T GET OVER IT!!

One thing that has helped me the most are books. I tried some talk therapy, but found that to be, #1 Expensive and #2 Not so helpfull - it takes a long time to find someone you connect with, and in many cases (esp in small towns) you won't find someone at all.

After my oh-so-debilitating backslide this past week, I turned back to my books. I found a lot of solace in a book, "When Things Fall Apart", by Pema Chodron. She's a buddhist nun. I'm not sure if that's your thing; but this book in particular isn't big into Buddhism as a "religion", but more in generating a kind and gentle attitude towards yourself and others. What I appreciate the most about her teachings is that she constantly acknowledges that we will make mistakes. Even the most "enlightened" person will act in ways that they have, for years, worked to change. Somehow reading that book gave me solace in my humanity and that falling back into old habits is going to happen, so we shouldn't beat ourselves up so much about it - try to take something positive from it and move on.

Another book I harp on constantly is "Feeling Good", by David Burns. I consider it to be a bible/dictionary/reference that all people with depressive-tendancies should own.

Good luck!

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.