Sam-e - did nothing

Topic Title: Sam-e - did nothing
Jeremy

Ip/Isp 4.246.138.61
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Sam-e - did nothing" , Fri 17 Jun 10:11

Out of desperation I bought this supplement and took the whole box in a week. I felt no difference.

rod72

Ip/Isp 24.1.10.237
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Sam-e - did nothing" , Wed 14 Sep 22:15:

quote:
Out of desperation I bought this supplement and took the whole box in a week. I felt no difference. ...
SAM-e is a great supplement but taking an entire bottle in a week or less will, as you experienced, not have any real benefit.

Natural supplements, unlike prescription meds, will not work within a day or two, or even a week. While SAM-e does have numerous clinical trials where patients showed improvement within a few days, this was normally in the range of 20% - 30% of the participants. Over time is when the real results were seen. In a couple of studies that involved people with depression taking SAM-e for four, six or eight weeks, the numbers got into the 60% to 70% range for people reporting mood improvement.

SAM-e is believed to work by supporting a process known as methylation which eventually leads to positive chemical balance in neurotransmitters, but may lead to increases in toxic hormones like homocysteine. Both of these are closely linked to depression. That being said, if you have a 'chemical imbalance', then there is a chance that SAM-e can help, but only with depression resulting from imbalances associated with methylation processes.. (<-- this theory is arguable)

Your depression may very well be resulting from other imbalances, that involve neurotransmitters like Serotonin or dopamine, or even imbalanced gland secretion. The brain is complex, so there may be multiple causes, that require a multi-pronged approach.

Personally, I believe that SAM-e, or any supplement, even SJW, is only a part of a complete the treatment process. You may also want to consider adding B vitamins to your SAM-e supplementation.

Also, Psychotherapy, such as CBT, may very well be the most effective tool in dealing with disorders like depression and anxiety. I would recommend looking into that, as well.

If you are serious about natural supplements, you might give SAM-e another try, perhaps for 4 - 8 weeks. Maybe even supplement that with SJW and see what happens.

Best wishes,

Rod

[this message was edited by rod72 on Wed 14 Sep 22:49]

sugarstar

Ip/Isp 68.53.61.38
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"I'm sorry :(" , Tue 21 Jun 11:18

I'm sorry....that sucks! I hope you are able to find something else that will help you. There is always (unless you are taking illegal drugs or have...but thats another topic all together) that might help!
Best of luck!

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.