Gotu Kola

Topic Title: Gotu Kola
the chief

Ip/Isp 144.134.37.138
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Gotu Kola" , Tue 31 Aug 00:50

Well folks I have to say that Gotu Kola has passed the test of time with me.

I suffered from anxiety and mild depression and social anxiety for most of my life. I would find myself petrified of social situation, and found it hard to read social situations and act normally around groups. I was very hard on myself and placed alot of importance on what people thought of me. So much so that it was easier and safer to stay home when I could, rather than face possible disapproval from people.

I found it difficult to understand what people were saying and found it hard to develop a rapport with people, especially when they were in a group. I subsequently know this is because I was bombarding myself with negative thoughts all along and this would effect my ability to read the sitation as it really was, not as I thought it was.

I've been taking gotu kola for about 3 months now and I've been the most stable I have ever been. I also feel alot more healthy.
My social life has improved dramatically and I've realised for the first time that I am quite an attractive person. I am getting alot of attention and people want to be around me. And I am just being myself and not even wanting attention :)

It is recommended that you take it for 4-6 weeks on then take a break for 2 weeks. It sharpens your mental alertness and at the same time soothes your anxiety so day to day problems don't phase you as much and you find solutions to problems alot easier. Thank you Cici for putting me onto it.

I'm combining this with doing my own CBT. I have a book by Dr David Burns called the Feeling Good Handbook. It is very insightfull and makes you realise how your distorted thinking can cause your depression or anxiety. It has a scientific approach so you won't find any quack solutions you find in most self help books.

I'm finding while I'm on gotu kola, I don't need as much help from the cbt, but during the 2 week break I revert to the negative thought patterns. During this time I depend more on the cbt and have broken alot of negative thought patterns and gained a fairly noticable sense of release and relief. CBT really does work, it's hard work but anything worthwile is hard work, and I believe there's nothing as important in life as your mental health :)

The combination of these two therapies has been extremely sucessful to me and I hope this information incourages you to research and maybe try the path I've taken.

Just as a side note, I tried SJW as well but I may not have needed it as it didn't really make much of a difference. I was on it for about 4 months. My brain chemistry probably didn't need it.

Good luck to you all.

The chief

cici

Ip/Isp 80.40.83.47
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Gotu Kola" , Fri 8 Oct 15:54

Hi Chief!

This is an old thread I know, so I'm not sure if you're still reading it. Great to hear that the gotu kola is still working for you.

I'm not actually taking it at the moment for a variety of reasons. One of them may sound trivial - I found when I went back on to it after the two-week break that it was making my dry eyes a lot worse and my contact lenses were very uncomfortable (SJW does this too but the GK was worse). I'm very short sighted and don't want to have to wear glasses all the time. May sound vain, but I like to have the choice of showing my eyes to the world sometimes... And it got a bit weird around the 5-week mark, I would rather take something that didn't require a 2-week break.

But I do remember the lovely feeling of self-assurance, and it is a state of being I'd like to aim towards, even if by other means. I've been learning some meditation techniques, which I hope will be calming and "centering". I'm interested in the book you're using - is it on Amazon? Will check it out.

It's interesting that you don't feel you need SJW anymore. I think I still do - I managed a few weeks without, but then began to lose the plot a little. But I'm taking less than before, thanks to the green tea extract and recent changes to my diet (described my latest post in the "main" section...)

Hope you continue to feel well,

Cici

karlie

Ip/Isp 209.217.124.18
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Gotu Kola" , Sat 4 Sep 17:33

Hi chief!
i found your message rather interesting, infact word for word you described me exactly..yikes! i am curious on gotu kola. what brand are you taking? form? mg? and do you happen to now if its avaible in canada? its nice to know that i am not alone :) im open to any suggestions. thanks. karlie

the chief

Ip/Isp 144.134.145.172
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Gotu Kola" , Sun 5 Sep 07:31

Karlie, gotu kola is readily available in most countries in you health food shops. I take the recomended dose. In my case I take capsules which have the herb inside them.

I take 3 capsules a day which is equivelant to 1500mg. There have been reports that it can make a certain type of mice grow tumours, however this has not been investigated thoroughly. Some have recomended people with predispositions to melenomas and other types of skin tumours to refrain from taking it.

On the upshot there are alot of benefits to taking it which are reported to include lowering of blood pressure, improved blood circulation and blood vessel repairabilty, wounds heal quicker and of course much better coping and cognitive ability. I can atest to the calming and cognitive abilities it gives.

Remember take it 4-6 weeks on 2 weeks off, otherwise the effects wear off.

Please also look into Cognitive Behavioural therapy, even if you do it yourself (Dr David Burns). It really does work wonders. It changes your outlook on life and helps you form a healthy thought process and conquer you fears.

claude66

Ip/Isp 212.198.149.150
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Gotu Kola" , Tue 31 Aug 04:28:

Hi Chief,
Glad you found some rememdy and relief. I read a little on this on the web and saw this pre-caution..So, I do not know if it is same as what you are taking..If so, be careful maybe..
Glad you fell better.

The use of gotu kola for more than 6 weeks is not recommended. People taking the herb for an extended period of time (up to 6 weeks) should take a 2-week break before taking the herb again.

Asiaticoside, a major component of gotu kola, has also been associated with tumor growth in mice. Though more studies are needed, it is wise for anyone with a history of precancerous or cancerous skin lesions—such as squamous cell, basal cell skin cancer, or melanoma—to refrain from taking this herb.

http://www.healthandage.com/html/res/com/ConsHerbs/GotuKolach.html

[this message was edited by claude66 on Tue 31 Aug 04:30]

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.