Topic Title: Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy
soar2thaclouds

Ip/Isp 65.100.98.188
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy" , Thu 8 Sep 21:54

Kelly,

The book I was talking about in one of my earlier posts, was Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy... thats the title. Its on Amazon. He also has the Feeling Good Handbook, and 10 Days to Self-Esteem.

The Feeling Good, and the Handbook, are the top 2 books outs of 1000 that psychologists use for their patients.

Its been a bit of time since I wrote my post, and things are getting even better.

I'm the biggest skeptic of this stuff, and I would have NEVER thought it would work. I always thought I had to take something.

Well, something is working...I know that.

I have been doing the written exercises everyday, and other things. I started out with the book, in a moderately severe state, because I was taking 5-htp at the time...which I think brought me out of severe depression. I mean, I was having suicidal thoughts everyday, and after a month on 5-htp it was better. At first, doing the exercises, and following his advice, like getting out and doing things, was REALLY hard. Anyone who has depression knows how it makes you feel like lead, and its just painful to do anything.

Anyways, I'm now going to read the handbook, and devour it. I'm also going to read 10 days to self esteem.

I hope I never, EVER, have to be where I've been, the last 10 or so years of my life. I just have a hunch with what I'm doing, I will have the tools to help me stay depression free.

I'll post again someone in the future...to kinda some up my experiences...

One thing thats interesting though... is that some researchers think SSRI's, and anti-depressants herbs, maybe work by stopping, or blocking, negative thoughts... I noticed that with Paxil, and even SJW...that they both kinda made my head feel fuzzy...almost like they were interacting with my cognitive powers, or processes..

So, CBT basically works the same way, in that by challenging your negative thoughts, you eventually deprogram them from your head... With drugs, it takes time for you, as the negative thoughts are phased out, to once again think about being active in life again... and instead of thinking of going to a party or other event, and having your depressive thoughts take over... you don't have those anymore, so it gives you more power to be active again, which eventually restores your sense of self and you feel more alive.

Anyways, that kinda my thoery.

Thats why Dr. Burns talks about, how not only do you need to battle your negative thoughts, but you need to change your behaviors too..

Its all in the book...

papuanewguinea

Ip/Isp 195.93.21.37
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy" , Thu 3 Nov 14:11:

Hi Soar,

Glad you've had some good results with CBT and especially that book.

Like you say, thoughts and biology are intertwined, so if it is possible to make yourself down through thinking (which is a concept I found hard to grasp at first), it is also possible to make yourself feel happy through different thinking.

I have read The New Mood and found it to be very good, but if you want to go a step farther, I would reccomend "A Guide To Personal Happiness" by Albert Ellis, and also "How To Make Yourself Happy and Remarkably Undisturbable", and when you have a grasp of the therapy called Rational Emotive Therapy (The Grand CBT therapy) outlined very well in these books, use a book called "How To Accept Yourself" by Windy Dryden which gives similar homework style tasks to overwrite belief systems and consolidate the practise and knowledge of REBT as you have used in The new mood.

CBT concerns itslef with Automatic Thoughts, whereas REBT adresses the very roots of a mood problem, be it low self esteem, anger, anxiety, low confidence etc, and with understanding of the concepts, your anxiety may be drastically reduced. Albert Ellis outlines a very very powerful philosophy to replace the concept of "self-esteem" with one which can be releasing and invogorating,sharing more in common with Gautama Buddha than Freud! The techniques are quite paradoxical but given a chance, they have certainly worked for me and turned my life around.

The therapy and pyschologist Ellis is generally recognised as being an outstanding contribution to modern pyschology. Read a little about Ellis and im sure youll find it interesting.

Good Luck In Your Search

[this message was edited by papuanewguinea on Thu 3 Nov 14:16]

rod72

Ip/Isp 24.1.10.237
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy" , Wed 14 Sep 22:57

Just wanted to drop in and comment on CBT.

This is a great way to work through negative thoughts. I used to experience anixety and panic pretty often and didn't think much about CBT until I read a few chapters on how it works.

I can't say that my negative thoughts have been completely stopped, but I am most definately better able to manage them. I also experience considerably less of the negative thoughts throughout the course of my day.

Before I understood what was happening upstairs, the thoughts would build, one on top of the other. Eventually, I would have so many fears, that I would completely freak out.... and I was just sitting on the couch! There were no real threats, just irrational thoughts.

CBT taught me how to address my negative thoughts and negative core beliefs right away. Rather than thinking irrationally, I am now able to take a rational approach to negative thought patterns and create evidence to support why these thought patterns are irrational.

It's good stuff. I would recommend CBT to anyone, even if you don't have anxiety or depression. The techniques are great for irritability, anger, shyness, stress, etc.

Rod

Suzy Q

Ip/Isp 220.237.230.173
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy" , Wed 14 Sep 03:24

Hi

Thankyou so much for confirming what I thought. When I take SJW I get a fuzzy relaxed kind of feeling. Usually in all of about 10 minutes. I was really questioning myself if I really was feeling ok in such a short response time. Of if I was imagining it.

Does it work in 10-15 minutes on you or does it take longer

soar2thaclouds

Ip/Isp 65.100.98.188
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy" , Mon 19 Sep 21:51

Well, I don't take SJW anymore actually. I don't think it ever worked with me, but then again I don't think I took it longer than a month, when I was testing it.

I just remember feeling some sort of fuzziness... but I also was feeling all the "side effects" of depression and anxiety too, which are not fun.

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.