I am worried that 5htp is not safe

Topic Title: I am worried that 5htp is not safe
Steve D

Ip/Isp 148.78.254.240
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"I am worried that 5htp is not safe" , Tue 28 Mar 14:20

I have been on 5htp for about three months and my mood has approved 110%. Plus my compulsive behaviors seem to have diminish. Overall 5htp has been great for me.
No my concern is that it is not safe for me to use long term. I have read all of the articles on the web and consulted my doctor who had no clue about 5htp.
But are my concerns that something really horrible healthwise might happen to me if I continue to use long term valid. I have two small children and rather be mild depressed then have them lose a father.

pixybell

Ip/Isp 86.130.146.133
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):I am worried that 5htp is not safe" , Wed 29 Mar 06:58

Hiya,

I used 5htp for around 4 nearly 5 months and it was great first off and helped with my moods and my sleeping too which was fab. The problem with 5htp is that most of the time you build up a resistance and the effects diminish. I would read past posts on here for information but I know from talking to my health food shop they only recommend short periods of time due to the effects diminishing. I hope you find the information you need, good luck.

Pixy x

Loops

Ip/Isp 200.72.175.241
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):I am worried that 5htp is not safe" , Sun 2 Apr 07:32

Hi -

I use 5htp off and on and have done for years. My initial use was around 1 year at 300mg a day which had the side effect of making me very tired and sometimes more depressed, but looking back it did at least take care of my anxiety. My sleep was better than it is right now at that point - I would fall asleep early (10.30pm) and awaken at 6am at which point I took valerian root to get back to sleep (I need at least 9 hours sleep).

After about a year though I was really sliding into some depression and added in sjw - which actually got rid of the depression but then messed up my sleep somewhat. Since then I've tried all kinds of vitamins/supplements, and can't really go back on sjw because I never get over the sleep/anxiety issues with it.

Ok I'm rambling -

if the 5htp stops working I there are several things you can take along with it:

fish oil - sufficient EPA may help prevent 'poop-out' of ADs - I have been on fish oil for about a year (6 capsa day, each containing 300mg combined EPA/DHA). I actually used to take a lot more, but discovered that more is not better and high doses can make anxiety worse. This stuff builds your brain, even the areas damaged from anxiety/depression (there have been brain scans of people treated with fish oil + ADs).

Apparently, although I have not tried this myself, adding in a 'balancing' amino can make the 5htp work again - i.e. tyrosine, which is the opposing amino to 5htp. I would think phenylalanine would work as well. I have tried spirulina tablets and this worked similarly (I think it has a very high phenylalanine content).

How much 5htp do you take btw? Also which brand? I have found some brands are pretty useless and others seem a lot more potent. I even found one brand to be activating whilst the other was more calming. Odd.

TAke care

Loops

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.