Topic Title: Celexa vs. 5HTP
aurora

Ip/Isp 65.94.47.35
 Profile user profile
 Edit/Delete edit/delete message
 Reply post reply

"Celexa vs. 5HTP" , Tue 31 Jan 14:13

Hi there,
I have recently been diagnosed with a mood disorder along with depression - the docs think it may be Borderline Personality Disorder. They want me to go on Celexa but I just have an inherent mistrust of pharmaceutical drugs. I've read enough about it that there are enough negative side effects along with suicidal episodes with people who have gone off it and that's not what I need right now.

I'm a first time user to anti-depressants and mood enhancers so if there are people out there who have tried Celexa and then went on 5-HTP, I would love to hear your impressions.

Also, what is a good dosage to start on per day for a first time user? Most of the negative comments I've read here seem to be from people who started off on high dosages from the get go.

Does 5-HTP also have strange side effects when used with Chinese medicine? I want to take the natuopathic route here and plan on complementing my 5-HTP (if it is successful) with acupuncture and Chinese herbs.
Thanks.

pixybell

Ip/Isp 86.130.146.133
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Celexa vs. 5HTP" , Thu 9 Feb 01:22

Hiya,

I haven't been on celexa but I've tried alot of other prescribed drugs that have had lots of side effects. After years of taking my GP's advice I decided to do some research of my own and came across 5HTP. My sleeping is so much better and although I have my off days my moods are alot lighter and I'm not as down all the time. I hope it works for you. xx

crazy woman

Ip/Isp 207.69.139.133
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(1):Celexa vs. 5HTP" , Tue 7 Feb 18:04

aurora,

i was on celexa for 3 years and no side effects and felt great. it takes about a week to kick in though. i weaned myself off of it slowly - just to get off of it.
recently i have been having anxiety issues so just started to take 5htp. i take only 50 mg - with the first tablet, there was an incredible difference. i felt very relaxed, but had energy to work, my naturopath advised me to try it. start out with low doses and do not mix with any other drugs. it wears off in about 6 hours, but works well. also supposed to work
well with sleep disorders, so i am taking it for that also.
good luck, i'd try it and you can mix it with accupuncture
but not with any anti-anxiety or anti depressant drugs.

MasonKey

Ip/Isp 24.22.69.240
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Celexa vs. 5HTP" , Sun 12 Mar 16:21:

[this message was edited by MasonKey on Sun 12 Mar 16:22]

MasonKey

Ip/Isp 24.22.69.240
 Profile user profile
 Reply post reply

"Re(2):Celexa vs. 5HTP" , Sun 12 Mar 16:18:

Warning: Don't think you can take 5 htp indefinitely as you would an SSRI, it wears off around month three. You can increase your dose, but your body will continue to build more of a tolerance each time you increase the amount. From not only reading up on it, but experience as well, it's effects unfortunately diminish over time.

[this message was edited by MasonKey on Sun 12 Mar 16:22]

email/admin SJW home forum index
Copyright © 2000, 2001 Kelly Martin.