10 days on Kira SJW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 days on Kira SJW

I have been taking the Kira one-a-day capsules, 3 x aday to get the 900mg dose. The past few days I have felt shakey and uptight. Last night I hardly slept. Although my mood seems somewhat improved, I am wondering if I am taking too much.

Should I reduce the dose to 2 tablets, or will these effects gradually wear off? Should I stick to the 3 a day?

I think the feeling shakey is why I may have stopped taking st johns before. I am a midwife so require steady hands, especially when suturing!!

Thanks
    Banana

I asked my doctor about side effects and SJW once. She replied that it depended on how 'much' side effects you were prepared to take vs. possible gain. It is difficult given you don't know for certain whether the side effects will disappear and that you will improve.

Personally I don't like side effects. I've recently stopped taking US Kira because I couldn't sleep some nights. Therefore, I could not work the next day. I tried it for 6-7 weeks and this problem did not go. So I have stopped. I am about to try another brand that is currently in the post. Will see how that works out.

I can only talk for myself. I am no expert. But if I was in your situation I'd probably reduce the dose. Then see how it goes for a few days/weeks. If things improved I might increase the dose later on and see what happens.

Comment

I'm always amazed how many different reactions there are to SJW. I use the same brand(US) and fortunately have not had the same reaction as you. Clearly this is not a one size fits all solution.

If you're having an adverse reaction I would think you would want to cut back the dose and then see what happens. Since it may take a few days for your body to adjust to the lower dose, you may even want to take a day or two off and begin again.

Wishing you good health.

Comment

I am 21 days on the Kira SJW now. The shakiness seems to have subsided. I am starting to feel nervous and edgy in situations which I would normally feel relaxed in. I remember this feeling from last time I was taking SJW.

Is there something I can take for the nervousness?

Comment

Originally posted by Banana
          I am 21 days on the Kira SJW now. The shakiness seems to have subsided. I am starting to feel nervous and edgy in situations which I would normally feel relaxed in. I remember this feeling from last time I was taking SJW.

Is there something I can take for the nervousness?
          How about a nice glass of warm milk? Hopefully you can just ride it out, as most of the side-effects, minor or not, tend to go away or become less of a problem after the first month or two.

Kelly

Comment

I guess its early days as I havn't been on it for even a month yet. The stuff is a total godsend! I am getting married in August and was feeling so down and negative about the wedding, my relationship, my life, everything! Now all those negative thoughts have faded and I am starting to feel 'normal' again.

I know the side effects are minor compared to the benefits, but this nervousness was the reason I stopped the SJW before. I will get to the 6-8 weeks then if its still a problem I will try cutting the dose to 600mg.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

wow, I am confused now after reading this thread.

I have the Holland & Barratt '3 a day regime' bottle here that says that those number taken each day provide the 'standard 900ug' of Hypericin in total.

The Kira instructions I have here say that you simply need to take one tablet a day and it alone provides the standard 900ug of Hypericin.

Have I got this completely wrong but could banana be taking three times the recommended daily doseage of hypericin? To me it looks like she has jumped from 900ug a day (with H&B) to 2700ug a day.

This really does confuse the heck out of me

Comment

Originally posted by bill barr
                wow, I am confused now after reading this thread.

I have the Holland & Barratt '3 a day regime' bottle here that says that those number taken each day provide the 'standard 900ug' of Hypericin in total.
                Can you please click on the FAQ button (in the green bar, at the top) and read the frequently asked question about this? Also, on other parts of this website (in the "Recommended Dosage" link on the left) I have clearly indicated what the standard amount is to take for depression. You may have to do a little math but it's worth it.

Comment

"Both studies by the British Medical Journal used 900 mg of St. John's Wort daily, standardized to contain 0.3% hypericin. That means For many brands, it's three 300mg capsules (or tablets) a day, and at 0.3% that's 900mcg or 0.9mg of hypericin per capsule."

Thank you for that Kelly. I understand that 900mcg is what the three tablets were giving her each day in total using the H&B brand ( 3 x 9mg). But, the new one-a-day tablets she has started taking have 900mcg in each tablet and banana says she is now taking three of those a day.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bill barr
                    But, the new one-a-day tablets she has started taking have 900mcg in each tablet and banana says she is now taking three of those a day.

Bill
                    The Kira one-a-day tablets only have 300mcg per tablet, so you have to take 3 a day to receive the recommended daily dose of 900mcg. This is right, even my pschotherapist says so! He had discussions with Kira last year about it, and he says I am definately on the right dose.

Maybe your anxiety wa up on the Kira because you were only taking one third of the recommended dose?

Banana

Comment

No problem, banana. Maybe they sell in the UK different types of one-a-day tablets.

From the Kira box here, it says 'each One A Day tablet contains 300mg St John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) Dried Extract containing hypericin 900 ug'

No matter though, I wish you success with it.

All the very best,

Bill

Comment

I have been on the Kira for around 2 and a half months now, and I can honestly say its been a god send! Before I took it I was completely obsessed with negative thoughts and emotions which I couldn't shift. They were consuming me 24/7. I was considering calling off my wedding, questioning my relationship, all sorts.

SJW has turned this around. I never thought depression could make a person feel like this. I had the low mood, no motivation etc etc, but the negative thought were horrendous!

I still feel a bit shaky on SJW especially around the time of my period, but I don't let this worry me and just ride it out. It only lasts a few days.

The only down side is that Kira costs a small fortune here in the UK, but it is so worth the money. I wouldn't change brand now, as I have had such a good response to this one.

Banana

Comment

I am delighted for you banana.

After reading your comments I have also decided to increase my daily doseage, so fingers crossed!

Well done!

bill

Comment

Banana - fyi, a few months ago I ordered US Kira from an online retailer in the States. Postage was about $20, but I did not have to pay customs and it got here quite quickly. If you buy more than two or three packs in one go it might work out cheaper than buying the UK Kira one a day, and taking 3 of them. I haven't done the calculations myself but it might be worth looking into.

Comment

Working...
                            X