Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L-theanine. Does it work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • L-theanine. Does it work?

    Has anyone tried L-theanine and is it safe to use it together with SJW? And does it take anxiety away as it states?

    Moondancer x

  • #2
    Hi there,

    I have been using L-theanine for about 8 mos. now. I absolutely love it! I feel much more at peace, and calm when I take it. Somedays I forget to take it, and I can DEF. feel it. So I take it, and within about 30 min. I feel centered and calm again. Also, don't know if you drink caffeine (like I do), but it counterracts the negative effects of that too. Be sure to get the Suntheanine......supposed to be more pure and work much better. I use the NOW brand. Amazing stuff......
    Oh.....and I've been taking it with 900 mg. SJW for about a week now. So far, no probs. at all with combining the two. I take a 100 mg. theanine in the morning, and another one in the late afternoon. It's greatttttt for restful sleep too.

    Good luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      theanine is great

      theanine is really great. its better than taking a tranq. you have to take atleast 300mg to get a good feeling. alot of ppl mix it with tea, since tea has natural theanine but in a really small dosage. it lasts about 30 mins and i used it to fall asleep because it puts you in a completely peaceful mood.

      Comment


      • #4
        Didnt work for me. BUT, I am saying that because in the past I was on a low dose Klonopin(benzo) and theanine didnt even come close to calming me down. And in my case it made me feel slightly woozy which is one of my panic triggers. So I DO believe that it has a calming effect, but not if you are expecting it to kill the panic or anxiety like a benzo often does.

        Comment


        • #5
          theanine problem

          the doses say take 100-200 mg of theanine at a time. i do not take less then 500 because it does not phase me. im not sure of the dosage that you tried but u might of not achieved any affects because of the low dosage. try taking 500mg one time and observe how you feel. your body also gets used to it so when i used it a couple of day i had to take 2grams of it to work. the amino acids is harmless and won't hurt you in large amounts. try taking atleast 500mg.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have tried it over the last few days. and it does work! I take 200mg at a time. But when I get really severe anxiety, like today. It just won't touch it. Maybe I should try the 5oo mg. Is it dangerous to take too much? Benzod. does help a bit, but will make my depression worse, and I don't like the groggy, uncentered feeling.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by artur View Post
              the doses say take 100-200 mg of theanine at a time. i do not take less then 500 because it does not phase me. im not sure of the dosage that you tried but u might of not achieved any affects because of the low dosage. try taking 500mg one time and observe how you feel. your body also gets used to it so when i used it a couple of day i had to take 2grams of it to work. the amino acids is harmless and won't hurt you in large amounts. try taking atleast 500mg.
              Artur, thanks for your advice! I tried 400mg for severe anxiety (menopausal) and it worked in 10 mins!! But the effects didn't last long. Maybe for 30 mins or so. How long does it work for you? I worry/wonder how much I can take in a day, without it being harmful to my system? It really was a great feeling though! Just felt completely normal!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Hey there Moondancer,

                Have you ever tried Passionflower? It's a very good herb for anxiety. Maybe on the days your anxiety level is higher you could try the theanine WITH the passionflower. I don't have severe anxiety......so it may not work the same for you, but if I'm feeling a high level of tension, I take passionflower with the theanine and feel muchhhhhh calmer afterward. And when I take the two before bed, I'm out like a light!!
                Good luck!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Moondancer View Post
                  I have tried it over the last few days. and it does work! I take 200mg at a time. But when I get really severe anxiety, like today. It just won't touch it. Maybe I should try the 5oo mg. Is it dangerous to take too much? Benzod. does help a bit, but will make my depression worse, and I don't like the groggy, uncentered feeling.
                  Im sorry to read (even on the other thread) thatyouhave had a terrible time of it. And yes, the Theanine seemed to be kay if I wasnt super anxious as I said before...but in my case it cant in any way stop panic attacks. : (
                  I get a touch of the depression too, which is why I keep the HTP on hand...if not for that..Im sure the Klonopin would make me much more down.
                  Boy is it ever a balancing act. BIG hugs to you. Hope you feel better today.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Quest View Post
                    Im sorry to read (even on the other thread) thatyouhave had a terrible time of it. And yes, the Theanine seemed to be kay if I wasnt super anxious as I said before...but in my case it cant in any way stop panic attacks. : (
                    I get a touch of the depression too, which is why I keep the HTP on hand...if not for that..Im sure the Klonopin would make me much more down.
                    Boy is it ever a balancing act. BIG hugs to you. Hope you feel better today.
                    Thanks Quest, it really helps to know that you're there with all your advice and care. I'm glad HTP works for you. I've been on my amoryn now for two weeks and haven't felt any better or worse. Just the same ups and downs.
                    Lots of love to you too, xxx

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sited2Bhappy View Post
                      Hey there Moondancer,

                      Have you ever tried Passionflower? It's a very good herb for anxiety. Maybe on the days your anxiety level is higher you could try the theanine WITH the passionflower. I don't have severe anxiety......so it may not work the same for you, but if I'm feeling a high level of tension, I take passionflower with the theanine and feel muchhhhhh calmer afterward. And when I take the two before bed, I'm out like a light!!
                      Good luck!
                      Hi Sited2Bhappy,
                      I have tried Passionflower, but without real luck. Maybe I need mega doses? Thanks for your help anyway

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        works same for me

                        yes it does work for about 30 minutes for me to. i dont have anxiety attacks but if i am stressed it works perfectly. it lasts about 30-45 minutes and is enough for my to change my mood. it is more like a tranq that quickly calms you down. sometimes i will take 1000mg for a better effect. does build up a tolerance really quickly but loses is rather quickly too. so if you use it every second day at more than 500mg then it shoudl work fine. im glad to see it worked for you at a higher dosage like it does for me

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          contradictorary experience

                          how interesting! i read up on L-theanine and was excited by what i read, so decided to try it. however. i t didn't agree with me at all. i really don't know why, but i felt up tight and spaced out. i know it has an influence on GABA, dopamine and serotonin- maybe it just affected the dopamine system for me. very wierd experience for me personally. glad y'all found it helped though.

                          alex.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            L-thenine

                            I used it , and worked great, but opposite to other comments on the board, it gave calminess, but could not fall to sleep, had to stop using.

                            Now I sleep, but I feel down. !

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Calmer downer

                              Hi, yes, I have used Theanine. Not regularly, but on an occasional basis. It does relax me, but I get bad head pain from it. I feel the pain worse if I lie down.

                              Basically, it is a calmer downer for me. I use it occasionally. Useful, though!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X