Dosage that works for me 5-htp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dosage that works for me 5-htp

I have been on 5-htp for almost 3 months and it doesn't seem like the effects has worn off at all for me. I think a lot you are having a problem because you may not be using the correct dosage. I have read that 5-htp has a pretty short half-life in your system so with in 6 hours after ingestion its all gone. I take 100mg every 4 hours and it seems to maintain me at a constant level of calmness and free of anxiety problems I once had. I take a total of 400mg per day, which for a guy my size is seems just about right for the severity of my anxiety. Initially I started out with 300mg per day, every 5 hours to work my way into it and to see how it would work. After a couple weeks I upped my dosage to 100mg every 4 hours and this seems to be the perfect level for me. My anxiety has practically stopped completely. For those of you wondering how long it takes to feel the full effect I think it took me about 2-3 weeks to get the full effect from it. The first week for my wasn't anything like the later weeks and my current state. The 5-htp made me very sleepy and I felt like I was much more tired all the time. luckily this effect wore off after the first week and eventually I was left with only a strong feeling of calmness as well as a clear headed feeling without any noticible side effect by the second to third week.

After having read some of your post stating how many of you are only taking 50mg at breakfast and dinner for depression/anxiety I was surprised, there is no way it is still in your system at levels that would be noticible a few hours later. Of course your serotonin levels would not be as depleted but you would probably not be recieving all the benefits that you could be from 5-htp. Try redosing every 4 hours to maintain a constant level.

dosage

I guess everyones different. I take a dose of 5htp w/ltyrosine before bed and that works for me for the rest of the next day. Experimenting with dosage levels and times, and even Brands is definately a good idea before giving up on a particular herbal supplement to see what works for you. I see people on here that take something for a week and give up. Play around with it for a little, I say.

Comment

I started on 50mg for anxiety, when I tried 50mg morning and night I had awful anxiety all night. I read it can take a while for the brain to accept serotonin something to do with downregulation? I will try 100mg a day later. Im guessing its going to take a while to build up the serotonin, mine will be pretty low due on ongoing anxiety for the last few years and am currently have a really bad patch with fight/flight response going all the time.

Comment

[quote=masimonson;1361]I have been on 5-htp for almost 3 months and it doesn't seem like the effects has worn off at all for me. I think a lot you are having a problem because you may not be using the correct dosage. I have read that 5-htp has a pretty short half-life in your system so with in 6 hours after ingestion its all gone. I take 100mg every 4 hours and it seems to maintain me at a constant level of calmness and free of anxiety problems I once had. I take a total of 400mg per day, which for a guy my size is seems just about right for the severity of my anxiety. Initially I started out with 300mg per day, every 5 hours to work my way into it and to see how it would work. After a couple weeks I upped my dosage to 100mg every 4 hours and this seems to be the perfect level for me. My anxiety has practically stopped completely. For those of you wondering how long it takes to feel the full effect I think it took me about 2-3 weeks to get the full effect from it. The first week for my wasn't anything like the later weeks and my current state. The 5-htp made me very sleepy and I felt like I was much more tired all the time. luckily this effect wore off after the first week and eventually I was left with only a strong feeling of calmness as well as a clear headed feeling without any noticible side effect by the second to third week. [quote]

How did your body adjust to such a high dosage to start with? I think a lot of people are on 50mg because they are just starting out. I tried to start out with 200mg and my anxiety was so aggravated. Are you taking something else with 5-HTP?

Comment

I read that it is not safe to take more than 100mg a day unless taken with the prescription drug cardopa. The reason for this is that 5-htp is in your system and only a certain amount crosses the blood-brain barrier, the rest goes through the blood-stream. In small amounts this is okay, but more than 100mg a day could cause long-term health problems. Massive amounts of Serotonin that does not cross the blood-brain barrier can cause fibrosis of the heart in the long-term. Cardopa supposedly keeps the level of serotonin in the blood to a minimum. This is just something that I read though, and I'm not a doctor. When I read something like this, It definitely makes me think whether it is true or not. I take about 25mg a day, and find that it works well for me. Actually I started with 50mg, moved up to 100mg, felt like it was too much, went back down to 50mg. I thought it didn't work so I just stopped taking it. The second day for a short period I felt good, then I felt worse, so I decided to try 25mg and it actually works. Give it a chance, nobody says you have to take 400mg a day, and if you feel that it is not safe or are aprehensive about it, than don't.

Comment

I've been hearing that 25mg works for some. Yet, I was wondering what you are taking it for: anxiety or depression, or both? How severe is your depression.

I'm just curious because I'm trying to work the dosage out for myself. If I could do 25mg, I would be very satisfied. Yet, at 50mg, I still felt depressed. I am now going up to 100mg.

Comment

I'm taking it for anxiety mostly. I think I feel depressed sometimes, but it's not an issue like social anxiety is for me. I also think that when I have social anxiety and dealing with it, causes me to feel a little depressed. Take the amount you feel the most comfortable taking, and that seems to work the best. If depression is more of a concern than maybe a little more will help that better.

Comment

so do you get anxiety attacks? I get a panic feeling that just triggers stuff. I think the more anxiety you get the lower your serotonin gets. Do you get anxiety just as you wake? My body just starts up as soon as I wake without me evening having time to think anything bad. I think my morning anxiety is better or worse depending on the day before.

Comment

I get anxiety right when I wake up and since I adjusted to the 5-HTP (3 weeks: starting at 50mg and now at 100mg), I am not experiencing it anymore. At first the 5-HTP made me feel wound up, but now it makes me calm and relaxed. It took about 3 weeks for it to finally work for me.

Also, I'm only taking 5-HTP and nothing else right now. Putting 5-HTP in my system alone, was enough to feel out of whack the first week. I started at too high of a dose.

Comment

Im too afraid to try it again, 50mg made me have horrible anxiety every 2nd night. Im trying fish oil now, thats ment to raise serotonin, I wish.

Comment

5 HTP, Co Q10, Flax seed oil

I have been suffering from social anxiety disorder and low self esteem my whole life. I have had minimal success with anything because I never saw it through.

I just started getting a real enthusiasm for the happy juices in the brain (seratonin, dompamine, gaba, etc..) and so I have decided to let them be a BIG priority. I want to have good levels up top.

SOOOOO, I am taking 5 HTP (200mg x 3/day), Co Q10 (50mg x 3/day), Flax seed oil (spoonful in morning), several drops of ionic magnesium every day.

It's been about a week i guess on this regimen and I actually am feeling really good. At first it was questionable, I got really nervous when my room mate's 2 friends were over (all female). I just left and went to the bar.

But tonight, I went out to a talk and chatted with the wife of the speaker for 10 minutes with no anxiety. I admit I didn't know what to say half the time, but I was able to smile and ask questions and make a few comments here and there with no heart racing et al!!!

I have heard that GABA helps a person with social skills, allowing them to speak their mind. I will be experimenting with this by adding it to my regime. It's either that or Lysine (a precursor to GABA I think).

Also, I want to add a good B-complex vitamin and some calcium to go along with that magnesium.

Then I want to add a little something called L-carnatine for energy. It is supposed to do wonders. And L-glutamine was recommended to me but I'll have to research it first.

Once I am done my experiment, I think I shall have the ultimate formula for combating social anxiety. It is in the works so who knows what the outcome will be but I'm feeling pretty positive about it right now so wish me luck

Comment

Working...
                      X